Tuesday, August 14, 2012

8 14 12  Wasilla Ak

Will try to catch up to date now:

8 10 12 
     We drove from Healy, AK to the Willawaw National Forest Campground, just about 42 miles south of Anchorage.  The drive along Turnagain Arm was breathless.  The campground is a rugged campground with NO facilities.  It was a beautiful campground and the scenery was just awesome !!








8 11 12  

     This morning we went to the Aleyska Resort and took a tram ride up the mountain for over 2,000 ft.   Once at the top of the mountain Rick had to take it one step further and follow the trail to the highest peak where the chair lifts carry the skiers in the winter.  Richie, Paula, Dakota and Sage also took the trail further up for the challenge.  Scenery was very beautiful at the top.  I watched two men paraglide off the side of the mountain. 






In the afternoon we took the Portage Glacier cruise.  We got up close to a very cold glacier !!  The boat comes within feet of it.  It was very windy and very cold.





Once we finished the Portage Glacier tour we decided to drive the Whittier Tunnel.  The tunnel is 2 1/2 miles long and is only for one lane of traffic at a time, and is shared with trains !!  We had to wait 30 minutes before we could have our turn through the tunnel.  It was an odd feeling traveling through a tunnel that is bored through a mountain for 2 1/2 miles.  It cost $12.00 to go east through the tunnel but was free to come back west.


 

 8 12 12

     Today we drove 90 miles to Seward, AK for our 5 hour tour on the Star of the Northwest cruise boat.  The captain gave a speech about people getting seasick so I decided I may need to take some Bonnie or  Dramamine.  I opted for the Bonnie.  Was doing really good an hour after taking it so went up on top deck and what a sight to behold.  You could see the mountains on the sides with beautiful water all around.  We saw puffins, sea eagles, a sea lion and even a whale did a performance for the tourists !!  But alas.....once we got out to the open waters, and not in the inlet, the boat started going up and over 6 to 7 feet swells.  Well, if that wasn't bad enough it stalled the engines and set looking for wild life and that is when I lost it !!!  I got so sick and there was no where to go !!  One of the crew gave me some ginger ale and some ginger candy to help the nausea.....but nothing helped.....and the Bonnie was making me so drowsy I could hardly keep my eyes open.  Rick had me sit on an open bench alongside the boat and lay my head on his shoulder.  I was so sick and sleeping on and off  until I hardly remember anymore of the afternoon.   Needless to say, I came home, jammies went on and to bed I went.....imagine me with no dinner, you know I was sick !!  Rick, Richie, Paula, and Dakota seemed to be ok.  Sage said he got a little queasy at the end.  What a day !!  No cruises for me anymore.






8 13 12

     Today we drove from the Willawaw campground back to Wasilla and the Big Bear campground.  Had a lazy afternoon then we grilled out for dinner and the big thrill.....we all did SMORE'S.  The best part though, was once we ate dinner Sage insisted on washing the dishes !  It stays light so long here that it was midnight before we settled down for the night.



 8 14 12

     Today climaxed the vacation for Richie, Paula, Dakota and Sage.  They got their bags together and Rick and I did four loads of laundry.  We went in to Anchorage and Richie treated us all to a fabulous dinner at the Sea Galley !!  It was an excellent dinner.  Rick and I dropped them at the airport afterwards.  The rv was so quiet when we got home that I had to call them and Paula said their flight was delayed until 9:30 !  We so enjoyed them coming and being with us.  We will surely miss them !!

     

No comments:

Post a Comment